Monday, May 29, 2006

Joshua 2

So,where were we? Oh yes, down in the wine cellar making out. Though my hands were doing one thing, my mind was somewhere else.

What does all this mean, I pondered, grappling at his ... belt buckle.

Are we going to do this again, I thought, sliding my hand inside his boxers. Or is there going to be that awkward silence tomorrow?" Shut up, I thought. Can't you just enjoy this moment before it ---

"Joshua? a voice called out.

Shit, I thought, I missed the moment.

"Are you down there?"

It was what's-her-name.

"Fuck," Joshua said, scrambling to pull up his pants as he shuffled toward the stairs. He looked at me over his shoulder and nodded at the case of Korbel. "Can you get that up by yourself?"

I didn't reply; it was too easy.

Both of us continued to drink heavily, sneaking glances the rest of the night. His shirt tail was peeking out under the back of the cherry jacket.

As things wound down he mumbled his goodbyes and, arm around his gal, he got into his Ford Pinto to drive her home.

I walked out into the dark, empty parking lot as they pulled away. I raised a glass. I opened my mouth to say something very witty, but nothing came out except the cold December steam rising into the sky.

Maybe it was going to be, "After all -- tomorrow is another day," or "Don't let's ask for the moon - we have the stars."

But what ultimately came out was, "Fuck it," and I started the walk home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home